Today is my last day in this gorgeous resort and it seems only fitting to write something about the whole experience of a club vacation. Also a while back I reviewed this great book from Meike Winnemuth and I really liked her idea to end each chapter with a ’10 things I learnt in…’ page. I appreciate the concept that one is never too old learn and it gives one a chance to look back over a period of time and draw ones conclusions.
So here are the things I found out (about myself) during this vacation:
– Germany is the most important nation in a club. The quarter finals of the Champions League were going on during my stay, and while as the name implies there were four games being played only the game of Bayern Munich was shown with tone, in German and all other entertainment got cut off. This was further interesting as the majority of the club’s guests is French. The game of PSG on the day before was just ignored. So as far as club status goes, one should be German.
– Always, always check if your vacation falls into any kind of official holidays. The exponential growth rate of new guests was staggering from Friday on. Slight oversight on my part that Easter was just around the corner. What I hate even more than buffet food is lining up for said food.
– I overestimated my love for children. On club vacation children should join the ‘Mini-Club’ in the morning and not be seen until it’s time to say ‘Good Night’. This feeling increased with aforementioned growth rate of guest influx (see above).
– 18 degrees and sunny on my weather app doesn’t show in any way reality. What’s happening is that you will burn your feet when trying to walk on hot sand while when trying to cool them on the tiles on the way to the bathroom you will probably catch a UTI because it’s so frigging cold.
– The thinner the skin of an orange the longer it stayed on the tree.
– It’s possible to avoid speaking to any other guests except when in inebriated condition. Not sure why it doesn’t work then (still try to remember). I am apparently a very self-contained person but can’t help myself making new friends in the evening. Further investigation necessary, maybe tonight…
– I packed too much. I made a list before (I am quite big on lists, organized girl that I am), actually I used the one from last year and cut it in half. The stuff on the list, not the list itself. Also didn’t reduce ratio of underwear per day. I figured since it was cold I wouldn’t sweat so much therefore needed less clothes. Quite correct assumption, still packed too much though. Packing seems to be science that still eludes me.
– I am old because the music was too loud for me. But ear damage from said music can correct that. I have never looked younger.
– Since I am traveling alone I have decided I earn the right to sit at the best table available during mealtimes. Even if it seats four and I am all by myself. At least I am always in great company, myself and my kindle. Can’t say the same for quite a lot of sorry looking couples. As if a vacation will help anything. Also I am not talking to my kindle because it might seem a bit weird, but them?
– Nothing looks worse than tattoos on old and overweight people. Think about that while you are still young and skinny.
– Best view to drink afternoon Gin Tonic (Queen Mum already drank that and look how it prolonged her life, so it’s actually medicine). The island btw that you can see in the back is Samos. I will be going there in June. Guess I will be staying in this corner of the world for vacations this year. Next time should look a bit closer on the map. But could be a lot worse, no?:
– I have to avoid buffet food from now on. Even though I don’t like it, I can’t stop myself from going back, going back, going back. Like the Energizer Bunny.
In this sense I am glad that the vacation is coming to an end. In all others I am sad to leave here. For a club vacation this comes close to perfection. Yours, Pollybert